miércoles, 19 de diciembre de 2012

SINTERKLAAS



Last week, on 5th of December, I was greatly surprised. My friend Renate, who I talk English&Spanish with once per week, gave me the letter "B" in chocolate!! Apparently this is very common in the Netherlands, giving and receiving letters of chocolate according to your name on the 5th of December. I really appreciated this sign of affection because it made me feel like I am taking part in the Dutch culture.


Renate told me this happens because here in the Netherlands, they celebrate Sinterklaas (an elderly man very similar to our Santa Claus in Spain), who gives presents to good children visiting their houses the night of the 5th of December, but besides that, you yourself can also show your affection to your friends or relatives, giving them a present. And one of the possibilities are these chocolate letters.

We also have this tradition in Spain. We have Santa Claus, who leaves presents in children's shoes if they have been good, the night of the 24th of December and moreover we have the three Kings, who do the same on the 5th of January, if the children have shown good behavior during the year.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario